Tuesday, June 11, 2019

This Squirrel Has Me Running in Multiple Directions

Image result for squirrel free images

Well it all started out several days ago when I was trying to work on my One Monthly Goal hosted by Patty at Elm Street Quilts.  My goal for June is to get 3 of the Father Christmas blocks done.  

I had made all my freezer paper templates and was ready to apply them to fabric.  I needed black, and black is all the way in the back of the closet.  It is in a section that is not visible, and I just reach in and start pulling fabric out until I find what I am looking for.

The closet my fabric is in has 24 inch tall shelves, 24 inches deep. I used to have a bunch of large plastic drawers and things were separated by color but I never knew what I had. They were stacked 2 tall.   I got the brilliant idea several years ago to get rid of the plastic drawers several years ago, and just stack things on the shelves.  I had to do it 2 rows deep, so in order to get to the back row, I have to take the front row out.  

So as I was taking the black, and black and white fabric out, I noticed I had a bunch of interesting things, and maybe I should make a black and white quilt with these fabrics.


Several months ago I had one the bicycle fabric and music fabric and the plain black from Danice @ Homespun Hannah's blog.  I thought I was sticking some plain black in the stack and I unwadded it, and found apparently a long lost applique project.  



I also had wanted to gather some blues and greens together for a baby quilt for my next door neighbor.  She is having a 5th boy in a month or two, and I was looking for blues and greens.

The squirrel got ahold of me today and sent me in a new direction, to totally redo my fabric stacks in the closet.  First I was going to try to get all my Christmas fabric in this empty plastic container which I got empty by consolidating some of my blues and yellows.  I had way too much Christmas fabric.  This was one of those 6" tall containers.    I decided to put the black and white in there instead, and it fits in the bottom of the closet.  

I put the Christmas back in the closet but rearranged the stacks better.  


The problem I have with the stacks, besides being 2 piles deep, is that they start tumbling over after awhile and that annoys me.  My husband in his heyday would have made me dividers, but he is no longer able to work in his workshop.  He made most of the bookshelves and furniture in our house.  So I am left with the slumping piles.  I have been cutting cardboard and putting them between the sections.  

Today I dealt with the Christmas, the blues, greens and reds. 


I put the pinks and purples back that hard to see corner, as I don't use them that often.  My Civil War Pinks and Purples are in a separate drawer and can get to them easily,


I still have a place on that shelf, am sort of saving it for my embroidery unit of my Bernina, but we will see.



As I'm going through, I am pulling my homespuns and flannels, stripes and plaids out of these sections, I want them in a centralized location.  Most of my flannels and homespuns are in two places.  I have a dry sink cabinet that DH built that is completely filled up.


I can't smoosh anything else in there.  I also have a drawer of a chest that DH built and I stenciled, I can't smoosh anything else in there either.  I'm going to toss everything on the floor tomorrow from these two locations, along with the pile I made today and reorganize everything.  I have limited room available and I'm trying not to go into another room!  Trying really hard.  



This is the remaining closet I still need to do the lights and golds and I think my browns are somewhere in the back.  I need those so I can get to them.  




And I need to finish this up by tomorrow, as the grandkids will be here again on Thursday,  Of course I have found piles more of scraps to cut up.  That's what I was doing Monday part of the time they were occupied with games, was cutting up scraps.  And now I have added more to my pile today.  

Thanks for stopping by.   I did find blues and greens to cut out a baby quilt though.  And the black and white quilt.  Hopefully that squirrel won;t come up with another brilliant idea tomorrow!



No comments:

Post a Comment