Saturday, June 22, 2019

What I've Been Up To

The past two weeks have been a little crazy with little time for blogging. I am watching my youngest 2 grandchildren, John almost 9 and Klara almost 6 for the summer 2 days a week.   Their older almost 13-year-old cousin Keaton has been helping keep them busy and per his mother's request, is over here to keep him off the X-box all day, which is what he apparently does when he is at home alone.  I have been doing little activities when they are here, but not generally sewing, but I continue hand applique at night.

I was able to get one of the Father Christmas' done.  Part of my One Monthly Goal for June, is to get three of these blocks done.  I got this guy done, and attached him to the other two. I'm almost finished with the next one.  I hope to finish the last guy by Monday so I can start working on one of my 2019 Finish-Along goals for quarter 2.  




Granddaughter Kyleigh called last week, and wondered if I could help alter some clothes her mother had given her.  She asked to borrow her mother's sewing machine, but her mother told her talk to her grandmother.  This is about the third time she has asked her mother.  So I decided to give her the Touch and Sew Singer DH gave to me in 1973 or so.  I have it being serviced right now.  When it gets back, will have Kyleigh over to give her a lesson on the machine and some lessons. She is almost 19, and has always been interested in doing whatever I do.  


This skirt just needed to be shortened.  It looks like the hem isn't straight but it is sort of ruffly looking because it has a bunch of gore panels in it.  This was simple, it was the right waist size.  A friend had given her this.  




This was a pair of jean shorts, that I took about 4 inches out of the waist, and made it into a skirt.  That wasn't too bad, and it came out looking pretty good.  She still needs to try them on though.  


This pair of shorts were about 4 inches too big in the waist.  I cut a bunch out of the crotch too.  Not sure if these will work or not.  But Kyleigh is pretty thin.  She also brought a pair of white linen shorts over and they need 4 inches too.  I told her to bring a pair of shorts with her that fit  so have something  compare with.  That linen is making holes where I am pulling out the stitches on the waistband.  

My grandchildren think I can do anything, and some things,like alterations I'm winging it.  The beige pair of shorts, I told her I might have cut out too much, and she told me it was no problem.  



Monday, Klara brought over 2 nude dolls and told me they needed clothes.    The pink outfit was made out of a pair of Klara's favorite leggings.  She told me they needed some skirts, so I made the denim one.  





I made two of these skirts with mermaids and fish on them.  She has many more of these Baby Alive dolls at home.

One of the days last week when the kids were here, and they were playing games with Keaton, I cut out this baby quilt for my neighbor who is having her 5th boy next month.

I was able to cut it out pretty quickly with my Accuquilt.  I was particularly antsy to use my new frog die that my DH gave me $$ to get for Mother's Day.  I was able to get it stitched up today.  



I'm off to work on my Scrap Dance Minuet mystery quilt  by Carole @From My Carolina Home.  We got the reveal last week, but I haven't had a chance to work on it.   I had used the scrap blues I had leftover from 2 of my Hands2Help quilts.  

Thanks for stopping by!







3 comments:

  1. Busy days for you Karrin, with the grand kids there! I love your Father Christmas blocks, and that frog quilt is just perfect for a boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful grandma you are Karrin. Doll clothes, alterations and sewing machines. How sweet! Keeping you hopping I am sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And your grandchildren are right, because anything they ask you to do, you figure out a way to make it work. =) It will be so much fun to teach Kyleigh to use that sewing machine.

    ReplyDelete