Sunday, August 18, 2019

Hand Quilt Along, Slow Sunday Stitching


It's time again for the Hand Quilt Along 3 week progress report, and Slow Sunday Stitching check-in at Kathy's Quilts.  Most of my free time this past two weeks has been taken up with the BD gift my daughter Katie requested.  She requested a crazy quilted wall hanging with a vintage mermaid.  I found a vintage print with 3 mermaids in it, and I also had a hand-dyed mermaid by my friend Nicki Lee of Raviolee Dreams on  Etsy.  I used a bunch of her under the sea laces for this project.


On the 3 mermaids I tried to highlight them with stitches.  The bottom one I gave her a lace tail and some pearls.  On the lace mermaid I used the lace piece as a guide to stitch her hair and bead and stitch her tail.






I started assembling the piece, and added a border of silk, and then decided it needed some stitching too.




And I added a hanging sleeve for the back.


Last night I was able to get back to my Sweet Land of Liberty applique.  My guy still needs his pants stitched down, and his feet are hanging off. I shortrened his pants but they are still hanging off.  There is wording that still needs to be stitched and I don't know how that is going to fit in.





Hand Quilt Along Links

This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.

KathyMargaretEmmaTracyDebSusan,  Nanette,  EdithSharonKarrinGretchen and Kathi



I'll also be linking up at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Be sure and check out what everyone has been doing at Kathy's Quilts and the links above.

Thanks so much for stopping by!

10 comments:

  1. Karin your mermaid piece is so gorgeous, your daughter will love it! Your stitches just bring it alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The crazy quilt mermaid is definitely pinterest worthy. Perhaps you should consider pinning it. Hope you can include the man's feet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my! What detailed work this is! You are an artist, for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful mermaid art!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your mermaid piece!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! The mermaid wall hanging turned out so beautifully! What a super finish!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s a lot of details! Amazing work!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The mermaids and the entire wall hanging is just amazing! A definite work of art, Karrin.
    Doesn't it make you crazy when a pattern just doesn't fit where it is supposed to! Shorter pants yet, I guess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your daughter will be so pleased with this. I know you spent HOURS beading all that! I like the frame stitching, too. It adds a lot to the whole project. I know you will figure out some creative way to squish those words in - or you could just leave them out, since the block is pretty self-explanatory. Those men and their big feet! =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The detail on the mermaids is so amazing... I love the beading you did!
    I hope the hours you put into it are appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete