Sunday, July 05, 2020

Slow Sunday Stitching

Happy Post 4th of July everyone here in the U.S.  We have had what sounds like illegal fireworks going off all week here in my neighborhood, but this morning was a doozy.  It went off at 2:15 this morning  and really sounded like a bomb!  Hard to get back to sleep after that. 

John and I stayed home yesterday from the gathering with our family.  His asthma is too bad normally  to have him risk being exposed like that.  Granddaughter Kyleigh did pop by to pick up some of my secret ingredient for potato salad.  I say it is secret, because even I don't know what exactly is in it.  For years I have gone out to Denio's Farmer's Market and there is a booth out there that sells spices and herbs, you buy what you need.  I have bought this product called "Salad Mix".  I suspect it is something you mix with mayo or something, but I have always put it in my potato salad.   I did take the opportunity of getting a quick pic with Kyleigh. 


In my slow stitching this past week I finished up my Cassandra's Circle block for June, put it up for a picture with the other blocks and I didn't like the blue I had chosen.  I am trying to keep my blocks mostly blue, and downplay the other colors.   This was the first version.   I also changed out the blossom, and the green around the bud.  The other blues seem to pop more I thought.





This was my second version.  I am much happier with it now.   These are from Barbara Brackman's applique BOM for 2020 at Civil War Quilts.




Right now, I need to prep some more applique, so for my Slow Sunday stitching I will be working on another of the tea towels with the cute sayings from Stitcher's Revolution.  My sister is a wine drinker and this is perfect for her!

I will be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Pop on over and check out what everyone has been doing.  My favorite time of the week!  Many thanks to Kathy for continuing to provide this weekly gathering!

Have a great week, and thanks for stopping by!

9 comments:

  1. Both your blocks are beautiful but I agree the second one mixes better with the other blocks. Sorry about the loud fireworks. We have been having that issue here as well all week and it really bothers my son. Last night there were so many booms around we decided to go outside and watch all the fireworks being set off around our neighborhood. Quite a display but boy were they loud! Lets hope they are all gone now and it will be a quiet week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A truely secret secret ingredient, love it! Your applique blocks are beautiful, each a work of art on their own but will make a gorgeous quilt! Isn't it wonderful that we can stay safe with our stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love those blocks they are really beautiful, I hate fireworks they should be banned! have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that secret ingredient! :)

    The first version of the floral block is my fave, but I can see why you felt the need to make the 2nd version. It does seem to better fit the theme of what you are going for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol about your secret ingredient. Nothing was wrong with the first edition of the blue flower block, yet I do like the other one better. It is a more brighter blue and goes well with the others. You'll be happier in the long run that you did a redo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that your new block fits better with the first two! Those are really pretty blues! You've got us all curious about that secret ingredient for the potato salad. There are so many different ways to make it - my mom's recipe and my MIL's are completely different. Of course I like my mom's the best!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My MIL is the potato salad maker for our family. Hers is the best. Love the pic of you and Kyleigh. Karrin, your appliqué is always so pretty. You must be very patient to do so much hand work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your selection of blue fabrics are lovely. Are fireworks banned generally or because they don't want people to gather due to covid? Fireworks upset lots of people and pets of course.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very beautiful flower blocks! There are so many shades in each color, and not always easy to find the right one. Both were fine, but I agreed that the second one was more brighter.
    I wonder what's in your salad spice.

    ReplyDelete