Sunday, February 20, 2022

Slow Sunday Stitching

It's been another busy week.  Not as quite as busy as I thought it was going to be.  Daughter Katie and I were supposed to go to the monthly Begonia Meeting, but she had had a cold,  so we ditched going to the meeting.   Wednesday was the Guild meeting and it was nice to see everyone.  

This week I participated in the Tickled Pink Blog Hop.  My post was here.  I made the mug rug in my header and this cushion.


Thursday I had lunch with my new friend, Jandra, Kyleigh's boyfriend's grandmother.  We went to lunch at the country club she belongs to, and I saw her amazing home.  She literally has a display in every room of her house.  She loves Wizard of Oz, Princess Diana, Marilyn Monroe, and there are displays everywhere.  As well as pictures of her 3 grandsons.   When they were little she would give them driftwood and then would burn designs and their names in the wood with a wood-burning tool.  They had a Black Pearl boat playhouse in the back yard by the pool with a full sized pirate.  I don't think she takes her decorations down as I saw a skeleton sitting in the sitting room with a cup beside him like he was having some tea.  The laundry room was the I love Lucy room.  I have such a good time whenever I am with her. While I was at Jandra's house, daughter Kristen called and invited me to dinner at our favorite Mexican restaurant.  No cooking for me that day!

Jandra is coming over on Monday for lunch and to look through my crazy quilt fabrics and trims and I am going to make her a Boho bag.  She saw one of the ones that I had made, and I volunteered to make her one.  This is the one I am going to enter in the quilt show.  She wants red and black and I am not sure how much of those colors I have but we will see.  


Friday daughter Katie had the day off, so we went to High Hand Nursery, a nursery in this area that has a cafe that is pretty hard to get into, but as it had just opened, we were able to get in without a reservation.  We also picked up some nice plants while we were there. 

Katie helped me take some pictures of my other quilt entries too.  The quilt show is in April.  I'm entering my Dear Jane and Summer Sails that I had made for John.  She always takes a selfie when we are together.




As I had promised several members of my family I would make some tamales, I decided I better live up to my promises.  I went out Saturday morning and got supplies, and spent about 5 hours making red chili pork tamales.  I spent all afternoon working on them.  I cooked the first batch and filled the cooker to steam the last back, about 26 in all.  I decided to have one for dinner and it tasted off.  I decided the lard was rancid.  I haven't made tamales since the year before John died, so I should have started with new lard.  I tossed all those out and will try again later this week.  I am a little discouraged tonight needless to say.  

What I will be working on this week for Slow Sunday Stitching is still the Kathy Schmitz's the Gathered Blessings stitch along.  I didn't get too much done last week, but hope to relax this Sunday and work on it.  



I'll be linking up with Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Head on over and see what everyone is working on.

Thanks for stopping by!


11 comments:

  1. What a fun week you have had, Karrin. Jandra's home sounds fascinating. Your Dear Jane quilt, I think, will have all those who see it at the show being amazed at each block. It is gorgeous! Summer Sails will be a winner, too. Cute little Love mug rug and as for your Boho bag, it is fabulous. How generous of you to fashion one for Jandra. Good luck with finding lots of black pretties for the bag. Oh....and good luck with making a new batch of tamales.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, you are a busy woman. How will you find the time to make the boho bag!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a bummer! Tamales are so much work! I made a batch in December, and we are eating one when we have a Mexican dinner to make them last! Your quilts for the show are just stunning, Karen! That Dear Jane, what a huge amount of work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a lovely stitchery to work on today!
    Such a disappointment to have all that hard tamale work go to waste! I admire your ability to spend so many hours cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have had a very busy week! I love all your beautiful stitching, everything looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your pink pillow and mugrug. I am sure you will come up with a beautiful red and black Boho bag for Jandra.
    Dear Jane is a winner as Summer Sails is.
    Happy stitching! Your redwork looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So nice to have a new friend! Hope you had lots of time for stitching today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You had quite a busy week. I like all of those quilts that you are entering in the show. I recently cleaned out my pantry and found some items that had expired quite a while ago. How annoying that you spent all that time making the tamales only to find that the lard was bad. Your embroidery is very pretty. Enjoy your week and your stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You really have had a busy week, but it sounds fun! Pity about the disastrous cooking though.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your Summer Sails and Dear Jane are winners in my book, Karrin. Good luck! Meanwhile, what wonderful outings you are having; love that photo of the two of you. That lady's house sounds amazing...I've never heard of such. She just has to be so interesting. You are clever to make Boho bags. I can remember having one back in the late 60's...it was embroidered velvet. Happy Slow Stitching now from me!

    ReplyDelete