Sunday, March 27, 2022

Slow Sunday Stitching

This week has been a busy one for me, but with no social activities per se.  Monday I went off to find some weed killer.  Because of that tiny bit of rain we had, I have a bunch of weeds in the side yard, coming up in my brick pathway, just about everywhere.  The side yard has always been unfinished, and I haven't figured out what I am going to do with it yet, but I don't want to mow weeds.  It is where my husband usually built his boats, and where my SIL and I dismantled his last sailboat last year.  

Anyway buying weed killer led me to buying about 6 different kinds of tomatoes, 3 pepper plants and squash, and planting them, which took place over several days as it has been quite toasty here this past week in the 80's.  I overheated myself a couple of days really badly.  I need to come in when it starts getting so hot.  I also bought a fuchsia plant which I love.  This week my wisteria has also burst out with blossoms.  I need to weed that garden as there are a bunch of weeds there too I need to hand pull.  Most of that vegetation below the wisteria are my Naked Ladies or Amaryllis Belladonna in their vegetation phase.  The flowers will come later this summer.


The orchid I inherited from my daughter's mother-in-law's mother is also blooming again.


My candy cane camellia has also bloomed again.  I don't think it did the past few years.  



And my new fuchsia plant.  Now if I can keep it alive during our sweltering summer.  



I also trimmed my Creeping Charley plant out front, and switched out the stand.  It was trying to get in my front door!  I have started so many plants from the original one my friend gave me many, many years ago.  


This week I have been busy assembling my brother and SIL's lighthouse quilt and making some blocks for fillers.  It measures 56x88 right now.  Next I am going to make a round of Storm at Sea blocks.  I will probably cut them out on my Accuquilt so I can sew them when I have time, but we are coming up on April, and I have a lot of guild activities associated with out quilt show.  I think the 12 inch Storm at Sea blocks will put me almost at where I need to be for a king sized quilt.  


I cut out a couple of quotes on my Cricut and used those for two of the blocks.  



For National Puppy Day this week, my daughter Kristen posted a picture of her husband Jeff, and their four dogs.  Capri (boxer), Daisy (Jack Russell), Ronald (chihuahua), and Rigby/Piggy (pug). I was surprised they got them all to sit still. Usually Rigby, the pug is running all over the place.




For Slow Sunday Stitching this week I will be working on my friend's Boho purse. I did get a little more done this week.



I'll be linking up with Slow Sunday Stitching @ Kathy's Quilts. Head on over and check out what everyone is working on!

Saturday evening daughter Katie and I are went to the 74th BD celebration for our Begonia Society with a nice dinner, and had an excellent speaker, Mike Flaherty. He gave a slide show of his visits to Australia and their beautiful botanical gardens, and other gardens. After a great dinner and presentation, they had drawings for various begonias, soils, and other items used in gardening. We got to choose 6 prizes, and even got to take home the table plants.


This next week is heading into a rough one for us. I took John to the hospital March 31st last year where he stayed for 12 days, and then came home on Hospice. His birthday is April 5th, and that will be another hard thing to get through. I am so blessed to have my family and to be able to spend time with them.

Thanks for stopping by!

12 comments:

  1. The lighthouse quilt is growing and the Storm at Sea blocks will go so well on it. Great idea Karin. Your Fushia plant is gorgeous. So good you have found some time for gardening.
    The Boho purse is already so pretty with all the embelishment you added, great work. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of your pretty flowers. I would love to have that 80 degree weather. We are supposed to be below freezing all day tomorrow. Ugh! The Lighthouse quilt is lookging great! I didn't know you could cut out quotes like that. What a wonderful addition to the quilt. Hugs for you for this upcoming week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am sending you warm hugs in hopes that it helps to get through the next little while. Your wisteria looks so good. I tried planting that when we first moved into our home but we have a giant maple tree that prevents our backyard from getting much sun. Nothing much grows there. Your quilt is coming along nicely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much beauty all around you (stitched and blooming) and I hope that will help you to get through this hard time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds wonderful to be planting already! (Pulling weeds not so much!) It will be awhile before we can do that here in No. Colorado. Your camellia is beautiful! Looks like the lighthouse quilt is really coming along. Enjoy some stitching today, Karrin! I'll be thinking about you this week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The lighthouse quilt is turning out nice… I love your purse panel!!! I love your staying so busy and have such a productive yard and mature too!!! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Fuschia plants. They are native shrubs that grow wild along the roadsides in Cornwall in Southwest England. I usually have 1 or 2 hanging on my porch every year. They do not seem to like our sunshine here which is good because my east-facing porch gets about 2 hours of sun daily in summer. Funny about the Creeping Charlie. It grows rampant here in Southern Ontario Canada and we consider it a weed. But it does make my lawn look very green.
    Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your gardens and flowers are gorgeous! You have such a supportive family --they will always help you to get through the difficult times.
    The storm at sea blocks are perfect for this quilt. enjoy your stitching this week.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your plants are beautiful! I envy people who can keep them alive. The quilt is coming along beautifully and the storm at sea blocks will finish it off nicely. Big hugs to you all on this difficult month coming up. Hopefully all the good memories over the years will cause a few smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your lighthouse quilt is gorgeous. First anniversaries will be hard but you do have a lovely family to help you through.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your corner of the garden with the wisteria in flower is so pretty. It will look a picture when the amaryllis and naked ladies flower. The lighthouse quilt is looking fabulous, as is your little boho purse. Take care, lovely Karrin. I will think of you especially over this little while.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The flowers are so inspiring to one in Maine on a cold March night. Thinking of you and yours as you go through these difficult weeks.

    ReplyDelete