Sunday, September 08, 2019

HQAL and Slow Sunday Stitching

Three weeks just keep flying by and time to report in again for the Hand Quilt Along.  This week I have spent a lot of time prepping for slow stitching by hand.  I have been working on Sweet Land of Liberty.  I might be able to finish this one today.  I have a bit of fixing to do.  I had ironed my letters onto wool and was going to fuse them and blanket stitch them.  I found last night I had not reversed the letters  before I ironed the fusible on and as I went to cut them out, they are all going the wrong backwards.  I also found that I had not done Victory which is supposed to go on the vase, but had done Liberty twice.   Liberty is supposed to go by on the fish or below the fish.  So I need to straighten those out, stitch the fish and flag, doves and stars down, and the letters once I correct them.


The other hand project I will be working on is the Buhl-Bushong Quilt.  I made 4 of these crown pieces by paper-piecing, which is not my favorite thing to do.  But I wanted my crowns to be pointy.  I'm appliqueing the rest of it together.  I almost have 1 of these together.  I have 3 more crown pieces done and ready to assemble.  Only 60 more to go.



Check out the other hand quilt along links below and see what everyone is up to.

Hand Quilt Along Links

This Hand Quilt Along is an opportunity for hand quilters and piecers to share and motivate one another. We post every three weeks, to show our progress and encourage one another.  If you have a hand quilting project and would like to join our group contact Kathy at the link below.

KathyMargaretEmmaTracyDebSusan,  Nanette,  EdithSharonKarrinGretchen and Kathi


I will also be linking up at Kathy's Quilts for Slow Sunday Stitching.  Head on over there and check out those great projects too!  

Thanks so much for stopping by!

8 comments:

  1. Love your block with the paper piecing - and that is one of my favorite things to do. Have you tried using the freezer paper method so you don't have to tear the paper off? It works great and I have actually used the paper foundation paper up to 10 times before I had to get print another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Buhl-Bushong is gorgeous, but sounds like a big challenge! It will look amazing though, I can already see! Glad you got your letters sorted before they went on the quilt! (speaking from experience here!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your crown points are perfectly pointy! Once you get those letters straightened out your back in business. Love both of your projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you found the letter mistake before Ironing them on. The Buhi-Bushong looks so interesting, can't wait to see more of it! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Buhl-Bushong quilt looks like it will be beautiful! I think paper-piecing is probably the best way to get nice points on those crowns - and yours look really good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your crowns are very pointy! It looks like a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those crowns are perfect! Gosh, they would have been tricky to do. What a pain re the letters....don't you hate it when that happens. You certainly have lovely applique on the go. I am looking forward to seeing the progress of your two fabulous quilts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your projects are coming along nicely. All the prep work takes time. I like the results of paper piecing.

    ReplyDelete