Saturday, September 14, 2019

My Dance Card is Full!, Buhl-Bushong, This is a New One

I have fallen in love with another quilt project, this time a BOM through Sentimental Stitches called the Ella Maria Deacon Quilt.  It starts tomorrow, September 15th, 2019.  It is a beautiful vintage quilt from 1841-1842.  Gay will be releasing 4 blocks a month, at a minimal cost of $2.50 a month.   It will be done over 21 months.  I think taking on this project,  my dance card is now full!  But maybe not.  



On the Buhl-Bushong Quilt front, I have gotten 4 blocks done, and 4 more crowns prepared for the applique.  I'm really happy the way they came out.  They aren't perfect, but at least my points are pointy.



Several weeks ago, some former coworker friends came over for breakfast.  I had asked Nerissa to bring the quilt top she was making for her daughter.  Nerissa is a nurse, and decided she wanted to make a quilt for her daughter for Christmas, the year her daughter started college.  It never got finished. Her daughter has now graduated from college.    Nerissa is not a regular quilter, has not taken lessons, it was just something she decided to do.  I told her I would finish it up for her and quilt it.  She actually brought her daughter's and another small top.  The seams are all 5/8 inch mostly.  She has pressed the seams open, which is nice.  But apparently her tension was off. 

She started out putting borders on her daughter's quilt, sort of log cabin style.  She would put on one border, and then go to get the next one on, and she didn't have enough fabric, and then would start another one.   This is the quilt top, very low volume prints and hard to photograph.  You can see the corners here on both sides.  Yesterday I took all the borders off to start over on that.  Her tension was way off, so it was really easy to take these off.




This was the second small quilt she brought over.  No major problems, I thought.   I  got it on the machine and started quilting it, a simple meander.




This is the new experience part.  I am quilting along and all of a sudden I came to an abrupt stop.  I was about 2 rows from the end.  Apparently one of her loose tensions was in this block, and I got stuck in a pocket.  In fact, I quilted myself into a pocket.  I had to loosen some stitches to get my quilting foot out!



Luckily I didn't go very far.  I picked that stitching out, ladder stitched that seam together, and finished quilting it.  Today I plan to bind this one, and machine stitch it down, and then put the borders on her daughter's quilt and get it loaded up.  




I was in the middle of writing this post, and DH got up from his nap.  I have an October birthday and he has already gotten me a new phone.  I was talking to him about some Accuquilt dies I wanted to get, so he gave me $$ to buy the Storm at Sea die, and the Sea Life applique dies.  I also have a November anniversary, so I joked I would almost be at Christmas on my gifts now!   I have a very supportive husband of my habit, and he spoils me to pieces!  We will be married 44 years in November.  

That is all for now.  Time for me to think about preparing us lunch.  Thanks so much for stopping by!




1 comment:

  1. It looks like your friend did a really good job matching seams. So nice of you to quilt them for her.

    ReplyDelete